The School Nurse, under the supervision of the Neosho School Nurse Supervisor and the school-based administrator, provides school health services to students, staff, families and school visitors. The school nurse works in a collaborative relationship with the Neosho Professional Nursing Staff, Certified Teachers and other staff. The school nurse works as a team member using good judgment according to health services policies and procedures. Performance to be evaluated periodically.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Provides first aid and emergency care to students, school staff, and visitors following the regulations and procedures established by the Neosho School District, Newton County Health Department, Missouri State Department of Education and the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services.
- Carries out delegated nursing tasks for students and staff
- Implements federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and procedures related to school health services
- Implements state mandated screening programs
- Implements laws, regulations, policies and procedures to control communicable disease within the school setting
- Carries out health services procedures established by the Neosho R5 School District
- Observes for student health, psychosocial and other needs and refers student appropriately
- Maintains accurate, confidential, and appropriate records following established guidelines
- Identifies and documents students with health problems and refers students to appropriate resources as necessary
- Contributes to the development of health care plans and the implementation of plan
- Communicates medical information in a timely manner to appropriate school personnel, parents/guardians, and the Neosho nurse supervisor (when necessary) while maintaining confidentiality
- Maintains emergency procedure information for students and staff
- Supports health promotion for students, staff, parents, and community
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Maintains a substitute notebook in the event of absence
- Assists in maintaining a safe and healthful school environment by identifying and reporting safety and environment problems.
- Participates in student services programs and teams in collaboration with the Neosho supervising nurse
- Participates in professional development activities and training
- Provides a supportive atmosphere for students and staff while assuring appropriate health room use
- Establishes and maintains open communication and a cooperative relationship with students, staff, parents/guardians and community.
- Maintains adequate supplies
- Maintains the health room is clean and in order
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Graduate of an approved school of Practical Nursing with current unrestricted Missouri License.
- Skill in cardio-pulmonary resuscitation and basic first aid
- Ability to work cooperatively with others
- Ability to work independently within the guidelines of policy and procedure using discretion and good judgment
- Ability to accept supervisory direction
- Ability to stay calm under adverse circumstances and to calm others under stress
- Ability to relate to children, parents and educational personnel
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communication, both orally and in writing, with school administrators, central office personnel, faculty, staff, parents and students
- Ability to communicate competently with tact and listen effectively
- Ability to provide a supportive atmosphere for students and staff while assuring appropriate health room use
MINIMUM EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Current unrestricted Missouri License
Current certification in cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR),
One year of health care experience, and computer experience preferred
Equal opportunity employer