The Instructional Designer is responsible for providing faculty with course design support in creating effective and engaging learning environments informed by desired learning outcomes. The Instructional Designer collaborates closely with the Educational Technology Specialist on planning and training strategies for developing the college’s online delivery capabilities. The Instructional Designer keeps current with the newest educational online trends and technological developments. The Instructional Designer collaborates with division chairs from diverse disciplines to identify course goals and applicable evidence-based instructional strategies. The Instructional Designer works with instructors and the student accessibility office to ensure accessibility compliance. The Instructional Designer will also provide pedagogical training to faculty through workshops, webinars, video tutorials, etc. regarding topics related to online teaching, the Canvas LMS, course design, and integration of instructional technology.
Essential Job Duties
- Assists in the administration of the learning management system
- Provides faculty with course design support in creating effective and engaging learning environments.
- Assists faculty in the development of course materials for delivery of face-to-face, hybrid, and online courses.
- Assists faculty with conversion of face-to-face courses to hybrid and online formats.
- Collaborates, assists, develops and participates in facilitation of professional development workshops and symposia, particularly with regard to course design, online teaching, and technology-enhanced instruction.
- Work with the Educational Technology Specialist to provide training to instructors developing online courses and teaching effectively.
- Work with individual instructors to create course development timelines and monitor progress.
- Assist instructors in developing course layout and flow for appropriate access to learning activities, texts, and assessments.
- Research and provide updates on emerging online technologies.
- May supervise the development of multimedia learning tools.
- Ensure new information technology is accessible to online instructors.
- Ensure online courses meet accessibility compliance.
- Seek innovative solutions for process improvement.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the appropriate administrator.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required in Educational/Instructional Technology, Curriculum & Instruction or other closely related area.
- Minimum of one (1) year of instructional design experience in an institution of higher education.
- Experience teaching college students.
- Experience in online teaching
- Experience in online course development
- Knowledge and skill in use of current technology that enhances distance learning and teaching, such as video, audio, and presentation software.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement responsibilities effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with students, other professionals, staff, and the public.
Preferred Knowledge Skills & Abilities
- Master’s degree in Educational/Instructional Technology, Curriculum & Instruction or other closely related area.
- Previous higher education academic training experience.
- Quality Matters (QM) and/or Online Learning Consortium (OLC) certification in online course design and/or delivery.
- Experience providing instructional design support using the Canvas LMS
- Experience providing instructional design across modalities (i.e. face-to-face, hybrid and online courses)
Information Technology Abilities
- Ability to operate a personal computer using the Windows environment.
- Ability to understand operating a personal computer within the Crowder College Network environment.
- Ability to use E-mail.
- Ability to perform basic student database (Jenzabar) functions.
- Ability to perform advanced word processing using MS Word.
- Ability to perform basic presentation functions using MS PowerPoint
- Ability to use Learning Management System (LMS)
- Ability to use video conferencing equipment (i.e. Zoom, Teams)
- Generally indoors in a normal office environment with minimal exposure to temperature changes, noise, dust or chemicals.
- Normal college working hours but adjustment of hours involving evening and/or weekend work will be required from time to time.
- A neat appearance and appropriate business like apparel are required.
- Sedentary work involving sitting part of the time, but will involve mobility within the office, campus, and external locations.
- Input, access and distribute information-using computers.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, or crouch; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Creative and Analytical Skills
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to devise or modify methods or processes to solve specific problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of people, including employees and the general public.
- Ability to write reports and business correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions.
***CROWDER COLLEGE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MODIFY, INTERPRET, OR APPLY THIS POSITION DESCRIPTION IN ANY WAY THE INSTITUTION DESIRES. THIS POSITION DESCRIPTION IN NO WAY IMPLIES THAT THESE ARE THE ONLY DUTIES, INCLUDING ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES, TO BE PERFORMED BY THE EMPLOYEE OCCUPYING THIS POSITION. THIS POSITION DESCRIPTION IS NOT AN EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE. THE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP REMAINS “AT-WILL.” THE AFOREMENTIONED POSITION REQUIREMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE QUALIFIED DISABLED INDIVIDUALS.