The purpose of this position is to provide a variety of maintenance services for the ditches, drainage areas, storm drains, and related facilities.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives supervision from the Streets Superintendent or Drainage Foreman. Exercises no supervision.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT RESPONSIBILTIES AND DUTIES—Important responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Maintains catch basins, storm drains, culverts, ditches, and drainage areas.
- Operates equipment and power/hand tools to perform various maintenance duties.
- Mows and trims ditches, retention ponds and drainage areas.
- Removes trash and debris from storm drains.
- Performs minor sidewalk repair.
- Trims trees over sidewalks and streets for pedestrian and vehicle clearance.
- Removes spill, debris, and litter from street right-of-ways, street medians, and other areas adjacent to City facilities.
Other Important Responsibilities and Duties
- Performs snow removal details.
- Paints crosswalks and traffic lines.
- Maintains city lawns, mows parks and streets, and trims trees.
- Inspects equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Chainsaw operation
- Construction work
- Safety factors and the proper safety procedures.
- Mowing equipment operation
- Pour concrete.
- Adjust work schedule for emergency weather conditions.
- Perform a variety of semi-skilled maintenance, construction, and repair work in the area of work assigned.
- Operate a variety of vehicular and stationary mechanical equipment in a safe and effective manner.
- Perform a variety of manual tasks for extended periods of time and in unfavorable weather conditions.
- Perform heavy manual labor.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Follow all safety rules and regulations of the Public Works Department.
- Operating and maintaining assigned equipment and vehicles
- Making sound decisions and using good judgment
- Determining and avoiding dangerous situations
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING GUIDELINES
High School diploma or equivalent. Class-B Commercial Driver’s License.
Travel from site to site; field environment; exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, gases, odors, and inclement weather conditions; work around heavy construction equipment.
Essential and other important duties and responsibilities may require maintaining a physical condition necessary for walking, standing, bending, pushing, crawling, crouching, and lifting heavy objects for prolonged periods of time; and the operation of motorized equipment and vehicles.
Tools and Equipment
Tractors, trucks, dump trucks, chain saws, mini-excavators, rakes, shovels, jackhammers, rodding machine, and a variety of power and hand tools.
- Must successfully complete pre-employment substance abuse testing.
- Will be subject to random substance abuse testing.
- Will be subject to background investigation and possible consumer credit reporting investigation.