Established in 1888, the Neosho National Fish Hatchery is the oldest of 65 hatcheries operated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. It is one of the few fish hatcheries located inside the “city limits.” The hatchery was located on a 12 acre tract. In 1901, an additional 3.3 acres were added, and in 1964, 243.6 acres of old Camp Crowder were added.
The hatchery water supply is from four gravity flow springs, some over four miles away, that combine to supply 1,600 gallons per minute of 58 degree water. The chemical and physical properties of this water are ideal for rearing healthy fast-growing trout. An Oxygen Injection System is used to increase overall production capabilities.
The rearing facilities consist of eight 3′ x 30′ tanks, sixteen covered 8′ x 80′ raceways, and eight earthen ponds. Three of the ponds are used for trout rearing from September to June.
The hatchery is currently receiving five shipments of rainbow trout eggs annually. The shipments vary in number from 65,000 to 115,000. Fish from these eggs are transferred to Lake Taneycomo, Missouri, and Ft. Riley, Kansas. Approxomately 80,000 pounds of rainbow trout are reared annually.
The Hatchery is also involved in the production of various species of cool and warm water fish (paddlefish, striped bass and hybrid sturgeon)
The hatchery is located at 520 E. Park St.